CANBERRA - September 13 2012: UNHCR has today welcomed Australia's further support for people affected by the conflict in Syria.
Australia announced that, as part of its recent decision to increase its overall humanitarian intake of refugees to 20,000 per year, it will resettle an additional 1,000 refugees - predominately people from Iraq - who had been caught up in the conflict in Syria.
"This is a significant and welcome contribution to UNHCR's efforts to find safety and protection for refugees in the Middle East," UNHCR Regional Representative Richard Towle said today.
"At this time of unprecedented global displacement challenges, when UNHCR is dealing with multiple crises, this kind of support is greatly appreciated."
This contribution of resettlement places builds on the $6 million financial contribution already made by the Australian Government to UNHCR's regional response to the refugee crisis.
"Contributions such as this allow UNHCR to continue to help the more than 260,000 people in Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan as well as those inside Syria itself who need desperate humanitarian assistance," Mr Towle said.
On 12 September the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Antonio Guterres, visited the region, urging the international community to continue supporting affected refugees and states in the region.
More information on UNHCR's Syria Regional Response is available at www.unhcr.org